Monday, January 17, 2011

Something Old: Green Apple Chicken Couscous with Honey-Mint Dressing

Whew! Just typing that name made me tired.

Hi food friends! I hope the long name hasn't scared you off yet. This is actually a fairly easy recipe to make, and there are so many delicious flavors dancing together in it. If you want to impress some guests (or your own taste buds), check out this recipe.

Chase and I first made this last year when he was in Norman to visit. It's based on this recipe, but we made a few modifications, which are included in my recipe below. I usually leave out the cider vinegar. I'm not a fan of the flavor of raw vinegar (won't even touch pickles*), but if you like it, by all means leave it in!

Happy cooking!

*I'm constantly expanding my food horizons, but I fear pickles will never make my food map.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Green Apple Chicken Couscous with Honey-Mint Dressing April 10, 2010


Ingredients
1-1.5 lb chicken tenders
1 cup couscous, cooked according to package directions
2 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste

Apple Salad
5 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
3 medium Granny Smith apples, cored and diced
cup chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp cider vinegar (optional)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste

Yogurt Dressing
1 cup plain yogurt (Greek yogurt is especially tasty)
2 Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp chopped fresh mint

Directions
1. Begin cooking couscous according to package directions.
2. For the salad: in large bowl, combine apples, parsley and crumbled bacon.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil and mustard. Pour over the apple mixture, salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
4. For the chicken: Heat a large skillet to medium-high and coat with cooking spray.
5. Season both sides of the chicken with the cumin, salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the heated skillet and cook through (about 3 minutes per side, depending on thickness).
6. While the chicken is cooking, whisk together yogurt, honey and mint to make the dressing.
7. On a large serving dish, construct your dish: Couscous on bottom, then apple salad, then chicken strips, then topped with the cool yogurt.
8. Serve and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Can I just say yum!!!!

    Unfortunately, I didn't have mint or parsley or bacon... but I got the rest! I added dried sweet basil to replace the mint. I got the idea anyway. I can imagine it would be even better as posted!

    I am officially obsessed with your blog Sarah!

    ReplyDelete