Monday, August 2, 2010

Something Old: Parmesan Chicken

Food friends, I have so many lesson plans to complete!

Rather than be productive yesterday, Chase and I took a relaxing day to ourselves. Amazing. But that means that I have about 1500 projects that have to get from my head onto some kind of paper or into some kind of kit. Despite the busyness I've given myself (it's for the children), I still wanted to gift you a nifty Monday recipe.

My whole family loves this one. It just tastes like it's made with comforting love. How can you go wrong with that?

Happy cooking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parmesan Chicken August 30, 2009


Rather than regress to nothing but turkey sandwiches when my sous chef Chase left, we decided to continue our Sunday cooking tradition. Yep, long distance cooking. Romantic, right?

This week we wanted to do something with chicken, so I called my mom for one of my favorite recipes: Parmesan Chicken.

You know I think this is delicious. Chicken has never been juicier. My one worry was that it wouldn't taste the same without mom magic. But because the recipe is fairly straightforward and the ingredients familiar, both Chase and I had great success with this dish!

No link today, of course. Just Mom's recipe, as best as I can type:


Ingredients
4-6 chicken breasts
½ cup plain bread crumbs
½ cup grated parmesan cheese
1 tsp salt
½ tsp pepper
½ tsp oregano
½ tsp basil
1 egg
2 tsp water
2-3 Tbsp butter
1 cup plain tomato sauce (15 oz. can of Hunts works well)
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat a large skillet to medium heat and add butter to melt.
2. Mix bread crumbs, parmesan, salt, pepper, oregano, and basil in a medium bowl. In another bowl, beat the egg with the water.
3. Assembly line time: Use a fork to dip the chicken breasts one at a time into the egg, then into the bread crumb mix so that both sides are coated.
4. Place chicken in the skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes per side. This is only to brown the breasts, not to cook them through.
5. Move the browned chicken to a 9x13 casserole dish, laying so that the chicken does not overlap.
6. Pour the tomato sauce over the breasts to cover, then sprinkle with mozzarella.
7. Cover the pan with aluminum foil and cook for 40 minutes. Remove foil and cook for additional 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden.
8. Serve and enjoy.

Assembly line.

In the pan, awaiting tomato and cheese.


So much cheesy goodness.

Deliciously juicy and served with green veggies. Mom would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment