Monday, August 9, 2010

Something Old: Mexican Cornbread Casserole

Hello friends! Hope everyone's week has been a pleasant one. Not much to report on this end. I just keep working and working and working. My loftiest goal for today (Sunday) is to write all the blog posts for this week in one fell swoop. Or three fell swoops.

I'm going to need some caffeine.

This week's Something Old is a dear recipe to Chase and I. As you'll see below, it was a milestone in our relationship to each other and to cooking.

Oh, and it's delicious.

Happy cooking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mexican Cornbread November 2, 2009


The entire month of October flew by without a single posted recipe. Not that I didn't cook. In fact, I have at least 5 new recipes to share!

And I'll start with this one, a recipe from Chase's family. This is in fact the first food from his family recipes that Chase ever shared with me. It was a few months after we started dating and he was so nervous to share it, afraid I wouldn't like it. But he never had to worry. It is delicious.

Now this is one of my favorite quick and easy recipes, and it makes some of the best leftovers. I’m so glad Chase shared!

Don't know why I only took one picture, though ...

Recipe time!


Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 box Jiffy cornbread mix
1 egg
cup milk
1 can refried beans (16 oz)
1 cup shredded cheese

Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Brown the ground beef. While it is browning, prepare the Jiffy mix according to package directions.
3. When the meat done browning, add the taco seasoning according to package directions.
4. Place the seasoned beef in the bottom of a cooking-sprayed casserole dish.
5. Carefully spread the beans on top of the beef, then sprinkle the cheese over the beans. Finally, pour the prepared cornbread mix over the top.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the cornbread comes out clean.
7. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment