Friday, July 9, 2010

Something Extra: Chocolate Float

The votes are in! I had so many side dishes and desserts that I haven't shared yet, here or otherwise, that I took a (very informal) Facebook poll to see what the food friends would like to see next.

And you voted: Dessert first!

I remember my grandma making this dessert all the time for family gatherings. Now that I've made it myself, I know even more why she did! Not only is it as tasty as I remember, it's very simple to make. In fact, I had every ingredient already in the cupboard. Plus, I think any recipe is made with extra love when it's made from scratch. Even better if it's grandma's recipe for a gooey chocolatey dessert.

Happy cooking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Float


Ingredients
Cake:
1 cup flour
¾ cup sugar
¼ tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder
1 ½ Tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup milk
2 Tbsp melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
½ cup nuts (optional)
Sauce:
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup white sugar
5 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 cup hot water

Directions
1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
2. Mix all dry cake ingredients, then stir in the wet cake ingredients.
3. Mix all dry sauce ingredients, then stir in the water.
4. Pour the cake mixture into a greased and floured 8x8 glass baking dish.
5. Pour the sauce over the cake mixture.
6. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
7. Enjoy warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

All the cake ingredients together.

All the sauce ingredients together.

Into the pan: cake on bottom, sauce on top.

Out of the oven: cake on top, sauce on bottom.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment