Thursday, March 10, 2011

Something New: Chocolate Scotcheroos

It's time for another dessert!

I found this one a couple of weeks ago when I was searching through recipe cards from my mom and grandma to see if there was a dessert in there I hadn't made yet. Of course I have plenty of cookbooks with dessert recipes, but I really craved something I recognized from home.

The funny thing is, I'm not sure I remember having these more than once as a kid. My grandma probably stopped making them after we found out about a family peanut allergy. Nevertheless, she included this recipe in an envelope of recipes she sent me awhile ago. I was so happy to find a dessert recipe that felt old and new at the same time!

And it was completely delicious. Chase and I finished a tray entirely to ourselves in less than a week. I'd hate to know the numbers on that one, but we'd have done it anyway. With that said ...

Warning: These are very rich. Eat in large amounts only when prepared to not move for an hour.

Happy cooking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chocolate Scotcheroos


Ingredients
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup butterscotch chips

Directions
1. Combine sugar and syrup in a large pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until mixture begins to bubble.
2. Remove pot from heat and stir in peanut butter.
3. Add Rice Krispies and stir until the Krispies are evenly coated.
4. Press mixture firmly into a buttered 13x9 pan. To prevent sticking, use a plastic bag to cover your hand while pressing.
5. Using a double boiler,* melt chocolate and butterscotch chips together over hot but not boiling water. Stir until combined.
6. Spread chocolate mixture evenly over the pressed Krispies mixture.
7. Cool until the chocolate is firm (I was impatient and used the fridge for about half an hour, but they will cool at room temperature).
8. Store covered and uncut at room temperature. Cut right before serving/eating and enjoy.

* I improvised a double boiler by placing about two inches of water in a medium pan, then placing a smaller pan (which held the chips to be melted) into the water.


Be patient with the sugar/corn syrup mixture. It really will start to bubble!

My improvised double boiler. Worked perfectly.

Krispies covered with the sugary, peanut buttery deliciousness.

Pressing the mixture into the pan. Keep pressing until pressing displaces
instead of compresses the mixture.

Spreading the melted chips.

Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment