Monday, October 25, 2010

Something Old: Sloppy Joes

Hello again!

This has been a pretty great weekend. Connor flew in to apartment hunt (congrats on the new job!), and it was strange but wonderful to see someone from Oklahoma again. We played plenty of cards and ate plenty of food, although we ate out instead of cooking (I'm slacking!)

And it's a shame I was slacking. I have plenty of recipes in the arsenal that are short and simple, and no less delicious. This week will be for those recipes. Today's recipe is a one-pan gig, and the two recipes that will go up together on Thursday have all of 3 ingredients apiece. Simple indeed.

Happy cooking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sloppy Joes January 3, 2010


This is a recipe I grew up with. It was a staple in my mom’s dinner repertoire, and therefore one of my favorite comfort foods. Excepting the French Dip, I know of no simpler warm sandwich.

Feel free to play with the amounts of ketchup and mustard, according to your tastes. Mine’s usually ketchup heavy; it’s my favorite condiment! And Chase loves adding cheese to his sandwich. Moral of the story, this recipe is easy to make, easy to modify, and tasty to boot.


Ingredients
1 lb ground beef or turkey
1 can chicken gumbo soup
2-3 Tbsp ketchup
2-3 Tbsp yellow mustard
Shredded cheese (optional)
Hamburger buns or rolls

Directions
1. In a large skillet, brown the meat.
2. Add the soup, ketchup and mustard to the skillet and stir.
3. Cook over medium heat until thickened (5-8 minutes).
4. Serve on buns or rolls, with or without cheese sprinkled on top.

Recipe my mom wrote for me to take to college.

All the ingredients in the pan, waiting for a good stir.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment