Thursday, September 16, 2010

Something New: Chicken Primavera

Chase and I were planning on making an apple bacon bread pudding for dinner on Sunday, but forgot the amount of prep time the recipe takes. So we searched around in our fridge and our cookbooks for something new to eat.

I was surprised when I found my mom's recipe for Chicken Primavera and realized that we had never made it together. It's a fairly simple recipe, and was a staple growing up for me, and I've had the recipe since my mom wrote it up for me when I moved to college. There was really no reason for us not to have made it yet! Except that it made for the prefect summer recipe tonight.

My mom would probably tsk that we doubled the amount of parmesan that she uses, but I refuse to be ashamed. It was delicious.

Mom's recipe is below, but feel shameless enough to double your cheese.

Happy cooking!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chicken Primavera


Ingredients
½ - ¾ lb chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1-2 cups broccoli florets
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
½ - 1 cup carrots, julienned
¼ cup chopped onion
1 can (14 oz) chicken broth
½ tsp dried basil
1 Tbsp veggie or olive oil
Dash of pepper
¼ cup parmesan cheese
1 ½ cup Minute Brown Rice, uncooked

Directions
1. Heat oil to medium-high in a large pan. Add chicken and onion and cook until the chicken is done through.
2. Add broccoli, peas and carrots. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender-crisp.
3. Stir in broth, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil.
4. Once boiling, stir in rice. Return to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
6. Stir in cheese and serve.

Chicken, onions and one of the veggies.

My mom's writing. I love her note on how to julienne.

All the veggies in the pot. So colorful!

All together now, ready for cheese and serving.

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment